Here is another one from Paleo Slow Cooking. I love acorn squash, a little sweet and I’ve always made it using honey and cinnamon not stuffing it. This was a hit in our house. Will definitely be making this one again.
2-3 small acorn squash
1 pound mild Italian pork sausage (I used sweet, casing removed and chopped)
1 cup onion, diced
2 cups mushrooms, chopped
2 cups spinach leaves
1 cup of water
- Place 1 cup of water in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the Italian sausage over medium heat.
- Add the onion, mushrooms and spinach to the sausage, cook for one or two more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stuff the cavity of the halved acorn squash, it’s okay to overstuff them.
- Place the squash in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for four hours.
*I didn’t have room to cook mine in the crock pot, I did 2 full acorn squashes making 4 of them total. I placed in the oven baking at 350 degrees F for 50-70 minutes*